IEXPLORE.EXE hangs trying to touch a remote file.

nnCron and nnCron LITE discussion

IEXPLORE.EXE hangs trying to touch a remote file.

Postby DeathfireD » Mon, 30 Oct 2006, 20:26

Hi, i've been running a remote cron. I have files on another web server that dosnt have a working cron program. So I set up nnCRON lite to use IEXPLORE.exe to visit these files every 4-20 mins. Anyway it seems like its all been working fine but when I open ctrl+alt+del I see that IEXPLORE is still in the process list. I try letting it sit there for a few mins and notice its not going away. After an hour it piles up and I have 20 or so processes from IEXPLORE.

Can anyone either explain why this is happening and how to fix it or give me a better way of running external crons?
DeathfireD

Postby Valery_Kondakoff » Tue, 31 Oct 2006, 14:48

As far as I know, there is no command line switch which will tell IExplorer to quit after it loads the page. So, when you are starting another IExplorer instance, it will stay in computer memory until you close it manually (or with some external automation tool like nnCron, for example).

I recommend you to search another app to visit your files. Maybe 'wget' can suit your needs better?
CU
VK
Valery_Kondakoff
Site Admin

Postby DeathfireD » Wed, 01 Nov 2006, 05:02

Valery_Kondakoff wrote:As far as I know, there is no command line switch which will tell IExplorer to quit after it loads the page. So, when you are starting another IExplorer instance, it will stay in computer memory until you close it manually (or with some external automation tool like nnCron, for example).

I recommend you to search another app to visit your files. Maybe 'wget' can suit your needs better?

wget can just visit a site as a web browser? I never knew that. I cant seem to find anything about an option for that on its site though. Do you happen to know how I would have it visit a site and not download anything?
DeathfireD

Postby Valery_Kondakoff » Wed, 01 Nov 2006, 12:36

at least there is a -N option (timestamping). so, if the file is not changed, it will be not downloaded.

Code: Select all
wget.exe -N http://your.server/file.htm
CU
VK
Valery_Kondakoff
Site Admin

Postby DeathfireD » Thu, 02 Nov 2006, 03:12

well thats works..but the down side is that its actually downloading the data every time. So its kind of a dumb way to wast bandwidth for me...even though its not much. Is their any other mode that touches the file but dose not download? I cant find any info on mods for wget.
DeathfireD

Postby Lynx » Thu, 02 Nov 2006, 10:27

There's no difference - when you open page w/ IE or download w/ wget you waste traffic in the same manner :)
Lynx

Return to nnCron forum (English)