needing little help with advanced mode of nncron

nnCron and nnCron LITE discussion

needing little help with advanced mode of nncron

Postby kourni » Fri, 15 Oct 2004, 13:22

Hi!

I'm newbie to nncron and programming. Maybe someone can help me.

I want to use Driveimage 2002 to backup my harddrives to a backup harddrive. This should happen every second day (like Mon, Wed, Fri,..) at shutdown of computer (Win 2000/XP). As the computer doesn't run 24hours it should record missed tasks and re-run this task the next time the computer is used and shutdown. Note: There are 4 users (all as administrators) using this same pc.

Up to now I tried this code in the advanced window of nncron. But I get syntax errors:

Code: Select all
#( driveimage_backup
Rule: RunMissed? Time: 0 18 * * 1,3,5,7 * OR WatchShutdown: "*" AND
Action:
 START-APP: "C:\Programme\Drive Image 2000\DiRun32.exe"  /PQB="driveimage.pqb" /NOPROMPT /POWERDOWN
ShowNormal   NormalPriority
)#

How should the code look like to work?

Thanks for your help!
kourni

Re: needing little help with advanced mode of nncron

Postby VK » Fri, 15 Oct 2004, 14:01

kourni wrote:I want to use Driveimage 2002 to backup my harddrives to a backup harddrive. This should happen every second day (like Mon, Wed, Fri,..) at shutdown of computer (Win 2000/XP).

Here is the code (every Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun at shutdown):
Code: Select all
#( test_shutdown
\ NoActive
Time: * * * * 1,3,5,7
WatchShutdown
Action:
    BEEP: 500 500
)#

As the computer doesn't run 24hours it should record missed tasks and re-run this task the next time the computer is used and shutdown.

As far as I understand there is no need in missed task management, because there is no chance that the task will be not run when PC is turned off on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun.

There is still a problem though. Currently WatchShutdown does not interrupts the shutdown process, so it is impossible to run a lengthy process startes by WatchShutdown. See the docs for more info: http://www.nncron.ru/help/EN/commands/w ... BatteryLow .
As far as I know, Nicholas is working on implementing such a feature, so we may expect it in the near future.
CU
VK
VK

Postby kourni » Fri, 15 Oct 2004, 18:00

There is still a problem though. Currently WatchShutdown does not interrupts the shutdown process, so it is impossible to run a lengthy process startes by WatchShutdown. See the docs for more info: http://www.nncron.ru/help/EN/commands/w ... BatteryLow .
As far as I know, Nicholas is working on implementing such a feature, so we may expect it in the near future.

That is really tough! It won't start up my application at shutdown as windows closes all programs instantly. I'm looking forward to the solution Nicholas is working on.
It seems that at the moment there is no way to start drive image at shutdown. (program reboots system and makes image in Caldera DOS-mode)
WatchLogoff is no option for me as several users use the computer and the backup process should only be started when the last user of the day logs off (= shuts the system down).

Anyway..thank you for your fast help! I appreciate it very much. Greetings from Switzerland to Russia :)
kourni

Postby Valery_Kondakoff » Fri, 15 Oct 2004, 20:33

kourni wrote:I'm looking forward to the solution Nicholas is working on.
Greetings from Switzerland to Russia :)

Thanks! BTW - interrupting the windows shutdown is a long-awaited feature, so your message may encourage Nicholas to implement it finally...
Nicholas? Are you listening us? :rock:
CU
VK
Valery_Kondakoff
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas_Nemtsev » Mon, 18 Oct 2004, 09:38

Yes, I am listening :)
Nicholas Nemtsev
Nicholas_Nemtsev
Site Admin

Return to nnCron forum (English)